Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Silent on the Moor, Deanna Raybourn






I am pretending that this pretty UK cover on the left is the edition that I bought at Borders. I really don't understand marketing- particularly why one would assume that only UK readers would be drawn in by the promise of vintage looking fonts, an engraving-type illustration of the moors, and an authentic looking Victorian woman on the cover but to lure American readers one would need to see heaving bosoms with tawdry, inaccurate sartorial choices. In short the type of cover that makes me want to fashion my own dust jackets so I can read with no shame in public.

So I was very relieved (after I finished being irritated) to find the pretty UK versions that I now want to order. Which I totally plan to do. By book 3 I have had a complete about face in opinion on this series. I loved this book and I love the characters. I love Lady Julia and Brisbane and Portia and Mr. Pugglesworth and Morag and pretty much everyone else. I also loved the humor in this one, the Wuthering Heights references, and most of all I loved the ending. I am really glad that there is a 4th book coming out and I hope that the series will be ongoing.

Now that I am on friendly terms with Lady Julia I want to go back and reread Silent in the Grave and potentially get over my issues with it. I think owning my own pretty copies of these books will probably help me with that as well. I do think Silent in the Grave has one of the most clever openings I've read in a long time which I can't believe I didn't mention in my initial thoughts:

"To say that I met Nicholas Brisbane over my husband's dead body is not entirely accurate. Edward, it should be noted, was still twitching upon the floor."


Silent on the Moors is definitely my favorite of the 3 books. Here are some favorite lines:

"Oh, isn't that just like a man to ruin a thrilling romantic gesture by leaving as soon as you've come rushing up here to sweep him into your arms and declare your love for him?"

...even if her clothes look like something out of a primer on modesty.

"I offered because I knew you would never be able to resist the chanace to play the coquette and thrust yourself at Brisbane."

"Oh, yes. I mean to marry him. But not because I want him to give me a life. I want to marry him to share the life I already have. The difference, I think you will find, is a significant one."

All in all, a very satisying book. There were a lot of excellent swoony parts near the end that I very much appreciated as well.
 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com