Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Silent in the Sanctuary, Deanna Raybourn



Even though I had some issues with the first book in this series, Silent in the Grave, I liked it well enough to pursue the sequel. And I am really glad that I did. The pace of the story moves much quicker in this one and there was much less of the obnoxious anachronistic attitudes that bothered me so much in the first book.

All combined this story had an engaging and suspenseful plot, much less dithering by Lady Julia, and was overall a much more satisfying book to read. I stayed up way too late to finish the book in one sitting last night as opposed to the first book that I had to force myself to keep reading over a stretch of about a week.

My big (and really only) complaint about Silent in the Sanctuary is the horrific cover art. Unfortunately, the cheesy romance novel bare shoulders cover on the left is the one I was forced to buy at Borders. The cover on the right is just so, so much prettier. I will admit that I am easily shamed enough to feel that the bookstore clerk wouldn't judge me and make snap judgments about me being a a sad cat lady getting my smut fix if I was buying the pretty and much classier cover. Sadly that was not an option for me. Even sadder is the fact that this book is not a smutty romance but a well done historical mystery.

I also really don't like when book covers in a series don't match so its frustrating to read this post at the author's blog and realize that the new direction is with the shoulder flaunting covers not the pretty England evoking covers. I liked seeing I'm not the only one who agrees about the new covers either. (http://thebooksmugglers.com/2009/05/book-review-silent-in-the-sanctuary-by-deanna-raybourn.html)

Now I am excited to read the next installment. I am hoping for more Julia & Brisbane quality time!
 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com