Monday, December 14, 2009

Crocodile on the Sandbank, Elizabeth Peters

Elizabeth Peters' has a wonderfully distinctive and entertaining voice. I loved Borrower of the Night when I read it earlier this year and I have had Amelia Peabody on my list ever since then. Especially since I read this enthusiastic review of Crocodile on the Sandbank at the Book Smugglers.

I am too tired and routine-childhood-illness-as-an-adult-depressed to write anything clever about why I enjoyed reading this but I loved the book. Amelia is hilarious and frequently wielding a parasol as a weapon while telling people that she is "on the job". The romantic tension and bickering between Emerson and Amelia is so much fun to read. Here is one of my favorite Emerson moments:

"Not wounded, not dying, merely enjoying a ladylike swoon," said Emerson's familiar, detestable voice. "Allow me to congratulate you, Peabody; it is the first time I have seen you behave as a lady is supposed to do. I must make a note of it in my journal."(p.217)


I am looking forward to reading the rest of Amelia's adventures. And to being free of diseases carried by children.
 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com