Thursday, December 31, 2009

The rest of the best of 2009 lists, lazily compressed into one post

Best Fluffy Escapist Bathtub Reading

Soulless, Gail Carriger
  • This wins for having a time period realistic yet spunky spinster heroine and a dreamy werewolf romantic interest. And an awesome cover. Oh and an engaging story.
Size 12 Is Not Fat series, Meg Cabot
  • In the part of my mind where I am a successful author Meg Cabot is my archnemesis. How does she write so, so many books? I loved Heather and I love that she doesn't lose weight to land a man. And there is something about the NYC dorm setting that takes me back to watching Felicity obsessively with my own college roommates.
Major Crush and The Boys Next Door, Jennifer Echols
  • I adore Jennifer Echols! I would happily live inside either of these books. So cute and fun!
Secret Society Girl series, Diana Peterfreund
  • Poe tops my book boyfriend list so that already lets you know the affection I have for these books. There's also the vicarious Ivy League experience you get when reading these without having to endure student debt and crushing pressure to achieve. Also the satisfying and suspenseful plots with well drawn characters help.
Simon Romantic Comedies, the entire group
  • These books have contributed a great deal to keeping me sane this year throughout various small child induced states of rage and weariness. Bubblegum cartoon cover art mixed with a large font size, predictable in a good way happy endings, and reliably readable in an hour or less. The ideal bathtub reading.
Best Literature for Grownups

Go With Me, Castle Freeman Jr.
  • short, chivalrous, creepy, AMAZING ENDING!
A Guide to the Birds of East Africa, Nicholas Drayson
  • "A charming love triangle in Nairobi, Kenya, forms the center of a novel that manages to be both sweet and gripping." -Publisher's Weekly
The Flying Troutmans, Miriam Troews
  • sad, weird, hilarious
Lolita, Vladimir Nabakov
  • "Lolita, light of my life, fire of my loins. My sin, my soul."
The Housekeeper and the Professor, Yoko Ogawak
  • "Ogawa weaves a poignant tale of beauty, heart, and sorrow in her exquisite new novel." (Publisher's Weekly)

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com