Saturday, December 12, 2009

Silent in the Grave, Deanna Raybourn

This is difficult for me to sum up in a few words. It's much easier when I love it or hate it but this one falls somewhere in the middle. The story was clever and engaging. I was definitely hooked and wanted to keep reading but there were many stretches that felt slow and in need of editing to me. I didn't need to read about Lady Julia dithering back and forth for several paragraphs every time she did something reckless. I also didn't need to read her frequent asides of "if I had known then what I know now" throughout the book.

I did really like Julia and Brisbane quite a bit though. The characters were much stronger than the drawn out writing style. This book definitely fell into the "girls who are forward thinkers ahead of their time trap" which is one of my biggest pet peeves. Small doses of that I can handle but this was a little much for my taste. It takes me out of the story and has me questioning the author's motives. Which is not what I am looking for in a reading experience.

Despite these issues I did really enjoy this book and I am planning to read the next two installments as soon as I can get them from the library. I am definitely hoping for more Brisbane & Julia romance them.
 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com