Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Bitten, Kelley Armstrong


"Elena Michaels is the world's only female werewolf. And she's tired of it. Tired of a life spent hiding and protecting, a life where her most important job is hunting down rogue werewolves. Tired of a world that not only accepts the worst in her— her temper, her violence—but requires it. Worst of all, she realizes she's growing content with that life, with being that person.
So she left the Pack and returned to Toronto where she's trying to live as a human. When the Pack leader calls asking for her help fighting a sudden uprising, she only agrees because she owes him. Once this is over, she'll be squared with the Pack and free to live life as a human. Which is what she wants. Really."

So I really, really like Kelley Armstrong's YA series, The Darkest Powers. Like really embarassingly like them. I reread them a lot last year and I have a teensy bit of a book crush on Derek the werewolf. So I can't wait until the next book in the series comes out this spring. In the mean time I thought I would try out one of Kelley's books for grownups that she wrote before she started the YA series.

Bitten reminds me of Cry Wolf. They seem to be in the same genre of sci-fi/supernatural romance/adventure that come with covers that embarrass me and that I haven't really read much of. Just as I am fully aware that not everyone can love and adore YA or chicklit fluff or cozy mysteries like I do, I'm realizing that this genre might just not be a good fit for me. So it's not that I think Bitten or Cry Wolf for that matter are poorly written or lame books. I just don't think I'm into this sort of thing.

For various reasons, I had a hard time finishing this book but I did start to enjoy it more in the last 30 pages or so when the romance picked up. Basically I like every story better when there is romance involved so that makes sense. The parts describing Clay researching Christmas to give Elena a perfect holiday were pretty cute. I am also a big wuss so I had to skim the parts describing the creepy criminal werewolves (really gross!) and there are several smutty passages of werewolf love included that were a little earthy to my mind.

Mostly reading the book made me wish I was reading The Summoning or The Awakening or even better, The Reckoning!
 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com