Saturday, January 16, 2010

Tithe, Holly Black

"Sixteen-year-old Kaye is a modern nomad. Fierce and independent, she travels from city to city with her mother's rock band until an ominous attack forces Kaye back to her childhood home. There, amid the industrial, blue-collar New Jersey backdrop, Kaye soon finds herself an unwilling pawn in an ancient power struggle between two rival faerie kingdoms- a struggle that could very well mean her death."

I liked this book a lot. Enough to venture out to the bookstore instead of staying in my pajamas for the entire day like I had planned to so I could buy the next two books. But I didn't love it. This part of the Amazon review I completely agree with and sums why I didn't love it:

"The book has its faults: it slips into shock-value mode; the descriptions are often overwritten (sunset on the water looks like the sun slit his wrists in a bathtub); the language is overly, unnecessarily explicit; and the writing often unpolished. Still, the story's pull is undeniable, and readers under its spell will be hard-pressed to put the book down."

In spite of that I really liked the romance between Kaye and Roiben a lot and I am excited to keep reading.
 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com