Friday, January 29, 2010

Moon Called, Patricia Briggs

Mercy Thompson's sexy next door neighbor is a werewolf.
She's tinkering with a VW bus at her mechanic shop that happens to belong a vampire.
But then Mercy Thompson is not exactly normal herself...and her connection to the world of things that go bump in the night is about to get her into a whole lot of trouble.

I am now officially in thrall to Patricia Briggs. And I've realized it happened just like how kids get hooked on drugs. Seriously. At first they resist and think drugs are bad even though they are curious (that was me when I read Cry Wolf). Then they decide they don't really like drugs but they definitely need more. Just a little more they tell themselves (me reading Hunting Ground). And finally they admit they love it and must have it (me reading Alpha & Omega). So I will admit I am totally into Patricia Briggs' writing but I am still slightly mortified to be seen buying the books thanks to the horrifying cover art and I definitely have been keeping their tackiness out of view from my family. Which is probably how I would feel if I was on drugs... hmmm. It's like my dirty little secret.

But I do love Mercy Thompson! I loved reading this book. I can't decide if I like Mercy or Anna better but I love how the characters overlap between the two series. I love that Mercy is tough but also shows emotion. She's not above bursting into tears which I can relate to. I hate when these types of characters are written as these emotionless, automaton, superhero types who need men like fish need bicycles. Mercy is believable. She saves the day quite a bit but is also busy trying to decide which hunky werewolf to choose. I loved it!

And now on to my biggest issue (really my only issue). I despise the cover art for this book and for all of the following Mercy Thompson stories. If these books had better and more appropriate cover art I wouldn't have to skulk through the bookstore and sandwich them in between my other purchases. I truly hate these pictures. So much that I am refusing to post them on my blog that 1 person reads. If you want to be creeped out come find the books on my shelf, Nora. I've posted the UK cover which I don't love but I also don't feel shamed by. The cover art doesn't even match the description of Mercy in the books which is irritating. As far as I have read Mercy has one tattoo... not a bajillion. I also don't get the vibe that she walks around mostly naked... but maybe I am just a prude.
 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com