Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Evernight, Claudia Gray

I really should have known better when I saw that LJ Smith was providing the author blurb on the back of this book. And I don't mean that in a snarky way. The Vampire Diaries is just not up my alley so it would stand to reason that this series would not impress me either.

And in the end I have mixed feelings. I definitely like this better than The Vampire Diaries. I do plan to keep reading the series but I was frustrated with a lot in this book. And I'm frustrated with my life at the moment so I don't have the energy to write that much about fictional frustrations. The short version is I was irritated by Bianca a lot of the time, I wasn't feeling the romance, and hello crazy unsupported plot twists! I wholeheartedly agree with the following reviews:

"I wasn't disappointed, but I wasn't blown away by this tale of a teenage girl who is dragged to Evernight Academy, a gothic boarding school, by her parents when they take positions as teachers there. Bianca, the main character and narrator of the book, wasn't a particular deep, insightful, or unique character. It is pity that the book is from her point-of-view. The author tries to pull off a surprise twist in the middle of novel, but instead of being a shocking revelation my reaction was more "uh, okay, that really doesn't work with what's happened already in the novel." It was not a good reaction. "

"I truly did enjoy the story. I just don't think it's realistic that Bianca as POV wouldn't mention her secret (which wasn't a secret, but everyday life to her). First person puts you inside the character's head, and for Bianca to mysteriously not talk about a major part of her life for half the book then talk about it without a thought in the next half is awkward. Either the reader should have known with her from the beginning, or she should have discovered the truth in the book with us. "

"Basically, I felt like the beginning went one direction and then when the twist came, it veered another direction completely, and the two parts, together, were incomprehensible." - Review X

I don't think I loved the rest of the book as much as Reviewer X but I did keep reading while I mermaided out. And I was mildly entertained. Where I disagree is in her "rant" about Twilight. I get that not all vampire books are made in Edward's image (and that reviewers don't need to compare everything to Twilight) but I have to say that, for me, Twilight holds up to rereadings. I am consistently entertained by it and I don't know (or want to know) what that says about me. I really cannot imagine rereading Evernight. So there, you win SMeyer!
 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com