Thursday, March 11, 2010

Valiant, Holly Black

When seventeen-year-old Valerie Russell runs away to New York City, she's trying to escape a life that has utterly betrayed her. Sporting a new identity, she takes up with a gang of squatters who live in the city's labyrinthine subway system.

I really loved Tithe and Ironside a few months ago when I read them. I have issues with "companion" books in a series. I was so into the main story that when I realized Valiant was set in the same world as Tithe but didn't continue with the same characters I wasn't interested. But having read it, I really like it. It is just as strong as Tithe and Ironside, it's just different.

It's definitely an edgy story with a lot of things I am sure my mom wouldn't have been happy I was reading if I was still a teenager but I didn't feel any of it was gratuitous or unnecessarily icky. I adored the ending and I really liked all of the epigrams Holly Black used at the start of each chapter. I would love to read some more stories set in this world.
 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com