Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Emma: Reading Notes

"...she had a husband whose warm heart and sweet temper made him think everything due to her in return for the great goodness of being in love with him..." (p.21)
Even though that description is of an unhappy marriage (Frank Churchill's mother & Mr. Weston) I love that description. If the feeling was mutual it would have been a perfect situation.

"Mr. Wodehouse was fond of society in his own way." (p.26)
I think I'm turning into Mr. Wodehouse in terms of my social habits. I'm not so much a hypochondriac or worried on behalf of other people but I definitely would rather stay at my house, in my pajamas, in my comfortable chair. It takes a lot to make me want to put in some effort especially during the school year.

"and yet she was a happy woman, and a woman whom no one named without goodwill. It was her own universal goodwill and contented temper which worked such wonders." (p.29)
This paragraph describing Miss Bates really struck me. I don't remember reading it before. Miss Bates is always so tragically ridiculous in the movie versions (and I realize she is quite a figure of fun in the book as well) that I forget her good qualities. Obviously she is not so one dimensional as I had her filed away as. The entire paragraph is quite sweet. Maybe I'm not reading it subversively enough but I liked it.

I do love this movie. I need to get in the mood to watch the Romola Garai version at some point.

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com