Monday, March 8, 2010

Howl's Moving Castle, Diana Wynne Jones



I'm continuing to read all the books on Sarah Rees Brennan's "Best Couples in Books Ever!" post.
I love her hilarious conversation style summaries. I had some prejudices against Howl's Moving Castle based on an impression that the movie was super weird but after reading this:

Sophie and Howl, Diana Wynne Jones's Howl's Moving Castle - A vain, cowardly Welsh wizard and a grumpy, practical hat-maker enchanted to look like an eighty-year-old lady. What could be more romantic? Again, they learn about each other through interacting: Sophie's impressions of Howl start off from Step 1) Cold-blooded murderer, eats hearts, to 2) Total idiot, in love with his own hair.

and this:

SOPHIE: Hello, I am your eighty year old cleaning lady.
HOWL: I could have wished for a sexier introduction.
SOPHIE: You should quit eating hearts.
HOWL: I don't eat hearts! Think of my trim figure. Now think of it some more. Excuse me, gotta get to a mirror, contemplate my own beauty.
SOPHIE: What do you do in the bathroom for five hours a day?
HOWL: MY HAIR. It's a work of art, baby. Art can't be rushed.
SOPHIE: Gotta clean up the bathroom and sort out the hair dyes.
HOWL: MY HAIR IS PINK OH MY GOD OH MY GOD OH MY GOD.
SOPHIE: The kingdom is in turmoil. You should save it.
HOWL: DID YOU NOT HEAR ME? PINK. PINK! OH GOD, MY ONE TRUE LOVE.
SOPHIE: I will help save the kingdom.
HOWL: Do you want to pretend to be my mom?
SOPHIE: I could have wished for a sexier undercover role.
HOWL: We have saved the day, due to our combined magics, your kind heart and me lying to myself about my own plans. God, I'm good!
SOPHIE: Yay, I am no longer eighty years old!
HOWL: Sophie, I want to ask you a very important question.
SOPHIE: *waits*
HOWL: My hair - is it a total mess?
I knew I had to read it. And I am so very glad that I did! It is definitely a new favorite and fully deserving of 5 stars. I loved it so much that I'm at a loss for what to say about it. I definitely want to see the movie now. Even though I'm not a big fan of anime style stuff. I love Sophie & Howl so much I got all excited watching the trailer:



And this is just crazy to me:

Howl's Moving Castle from Ben Millett on Vimeo.



http://www.ragandbone.com/blog/?p=642
http://ben-kt.momillett.org/2007/07/hmc-papercraft/
 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com