Monday, April 6, 2009

Lament: The Faerie Queen's Deception, Maggie Stiefvater

After being so let down by the fairies with an e in Wondrous Strange I was hesitant to start reading this one with a big e right on the cover. But it came in the same giant amazon.com box as Wondrous Strange and I already paid for it so I was going to read it or be mad at myself.

I loved this book! It was addictive and magical without being dorky or feeling watered down for 11 year olds (but it didn't freak me out either, it was perfect). I cared about these characters and stayed up way too late being scared for them. I eventually had to go to bed (today was the first day back at school after spring break, sigh) but I kept thinking about this story and how it was going to end during my long day with the first grade babies.

It was exactly the kind of escapist book I want to read right now. Entertaining but not insulting and still something new to think about. I finished it as soon as I got home from school and though the ending did make me sad it was fitting for the story.

I am really excited for the sequel which comes out in October but bummed out that there is no mention of Luke in the blurb for it. I don't want to believe that he is really gone. And I am planning on reading the author's other book that comes out later this year. Now I just have to wait!

Maggie Stiefvater's Live Journal
 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com