Friday, April 3, 2009

The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian, Sherman Alexie

"When my horoscope said I was going to meet someone tall, dark, and handsome... who knew he'd be 14! Thankfully for me Arnold Spirit is one of the funniest, most endearing characters I've met in a very long time. This book is so original, I laughed consistently from beginning to end."
-Amy Sedaris
This is a great book made all the more fascinating to me when I read that it is semi-autobiographical. The story of Arnold who leaves the reservation high school when he realizes that he is studying from the same outdated text book used by his mother 30 years earlier to study at the wealthy, white high school 22 miles away is hilarious and sad all at the same time. I love the description that Arnold is the only Indian at the high school other than the mascot. I didn't so much enjoy the more earthy teenage boy thoughts that are a part of the story but they are a very small part.

"You can do it," Coach said....
Do you understand how amazing it is to hear that from an adult? Do you know how amazing it is to hear that from anybody? It's one of the simplest sentences in the world, just four words, but they're the four hugest words in the world when they're put together." (p.189)
 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com