Saturday, July 11, 2009

A Dream to Call My Own, Tracie Peterson

The last book in this series has the best cover although it did make me wonder how Montana girls of the late 19th century managed to keep their brows so sculpted. This last sister has great brows but an unfortunate circa 1980's name- Lacy. So that right there raised my hackles towards her. She also likes to wear pants instead of dresses which is just hard for me to relate to as one of my frequently stated life goals is to never wear pants again. Not in a quaint anti-feminist statement way but just because they are honestly more comfortable and molto flattering. Off of my fashion tangent and on to the book:

This was a very satisfying end to the trilogy. We hear about Lacy's struggles and her road to romance but also see her sisters as wives and mothers at this point. The mystery of the Gallatin girls' father's death is also finally solved in this installment. There is an epilogue taking us 5 years into the future which is satisfying but I would welcome further stories about these 3 sisters. I'm a Tracie Peterson fan now and plan to find some more of her books to read.

I really liked that several characters made reference to this verse as a favorite:
"Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness."
Isaiah 41:10

I also liked this quote:
plus dolet quam necesse est qui ante dolet quam necesse est
He suffers more than is necessary who suffers before it is necessary
 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com