Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Need, Carrie Jones

I have sunk to a new low in book recommendations. I saw multiple 1 star reviews for this on amazon referring to it as a cheap Twilight knockoff substituting evil pixies for the vampires and my first thought was that I needed to get my hands on a copy immediately.

The plot really is incredibly Twilight-esque. It features an independent dark haired heroine sent to live in a cold remote northern town where she is left to her own devices too often; everyone in the small town knows her name and life story on her first day of school, there's a mysterious stranger staring at her, there's even a beefy werewolf who heals incredibly fast & is always running a fever who wants to keep her safe and far away from the other supernatural beings who want to hurt her....

The main difference to me is that the heroine, I'll just call her Bella, is a Code Pink/moral relativist/Amnesty International/every other liberal cause & cliche cheerleader. That is all. But it was still entertaining and a satisfying bathtub read.

I did appreciate this bit about libraries though:
"There is something about libraries, old libraries, that makes them seem almost sacred. There's a smell of paper and must and binding stuff. It's like all the books are fighting against decay, against turning into dust, and at the same time fighting for attention." pg.93
 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com