Monday, March 9, 2009

How I Live Now, Meg Rosoff


Another book mentioned on MentalMultivitamin (who has yet to lead me astray recommendation wise). This book took me by surprise. I love the blurb on the back cover and it is much more eloquent than I can be:

"That rare, rare thing, a first novel with a sustained, magical and utterly faultless voice. After five pages, I knew she could persuade me to believe anything." -Mark Haddon, author of The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time

I also loved realizing that Meg Rosoff is the author of one of my favorite picture books to read aloud to my students, Meet Wild Boars. It was a very random discovery and made me all the more impressed with her writing to see her versatility.

One of many quotable statements from Daisy, the narrator:

“It would be much easier to tell this story if it were all about a chaste and perfect love between Two Children Against the World at an Extreme Time in History but let’s face it that would be a load of crap.”

I also loved the jacket illustration by Istvan Banyai, especially the back cover which I couldn’t find a picture of online. This is definitely a book to add to the Purchase List.
 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com