Sunday, September 5, 2010

The Demon's Lexicon & The Demon's Covenant

First of all I adore Sarah Rees Brennan. She has one of the funniest blogs I've ever read and just seems like someone I would want to be friends with. Through her hilarious book recommendation posts I have been introduced to Howl's Moving Castle and The Changeover, two books I definitely would not have picked up  but I am so glad that I did.

I read The Demon's Lexicon last year and loved it. I do have some serious issues with the title and the cover art on the American edition (hence the gorgeous UK covers on this post) but that's just me. By the time the second book came out I couldn't really remember why I had loved the first one (or much of the plot) so I put off reading it for quite awhile. Eventually I decided to reread the first and I quickly remembered why I loved these characters so much.

Alan & Nick's tortured relationship is so tender and raw and real. Rereading while knowing the big spoiler of the first book made things even more heart string tugging for me. I wasn't sure at first about the narrator switch in the second book but it was perfect. I started to worry about the narrator switch coming up in the 3rd book but then I realized that I totally trust Sarah Rees Brennan's writing at this point. These books have been so perfect the entire way. They are an awesome blend of action & adventure with mystery, romance, sadness, and reality. And I care about these characters a little too much, I think!

I also love Sarah's thoughts on how trilogies should go: Book 1. set up Book 2. make out Book 3. defeat evil. Not to mention the fact that shes talking about Kelley Armstrong's books in that post!

I cannot wait to read the book 3!
 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com