Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Romancing Mr. Bridgerton, Julia Quinn

On the sixth of April, in the year 1812 - precisely two days before her sixteenth birthday - Penelope Featherington fell in love. But Colin Bridgerton certainly didn't fall in love with her in 1812 (and not in 1813, 1814, 1815, or - oh blast, not in all the years 1816-1822, either, and certainly not in 1823, when he was out of the country the whole time, anyway..' Penelope Featherington has secretly adored her best friend's brother for well, it feels like forever. After half a lifetime of watching Colin Bridgerton from afar, she thinks she knows everything about him, until she stumbles across his deepest secret and fears she doesn't know him at all. Colin Bridgerton is tired of being thought of as nothing but an empty-headed charmer, tired of everyone's preoccupation with the notorious gossip columnist Lady Whistledown, who can't seem to publish an edition without mentioning him in the first paragraph. But when Colin returns to London from a trip abroad he discovers nothing in his life is quite the same - especially Penelope Featherington! The girl haunting his dreams. But when he discovers that Penelope has secrets of her own, this elusive bachelor must decide is she his biggest threat - or his promise of a happy ending?

This book is completely awesome. And I am completely serious. It is my new favorite Julia Quinn title. I loved everything about this one. And of all the adorable UK covers this is my favorite. I love the expression on Penelope's face and her cute red hair. Lady Whistledown's gossip paper has been one of my favorite elements to these books so the plot in this one made me so ridiculously happy. Penelope is such a likable character and after hearing her described as an overripe citrus fruit for the past 3 books you are definitely  going to be rooting for her from the first page. And after the whole overhearing Colin swear he would never marry her debacle in the last book I couldn't handle the suspense of wondering how this one would go. And happily I loved it!

As much as I love the happy ending I think the prologue is my favorite part- it is just perfectly written. I also loved Lady Danbury saying this, "Isn't it nice to discover that we're not exactly what we thought we were."
I also appreciated this from the last page, "happy endings are all I can do, I wouldn't know how to write anything else." I think that's why I've been enjoying Julia Quinn's books so much... in the end when I'm reading for stress relief (which I almost always am lately) I want a story that is funny and romantic with a little suspense but a lot of happy ending.

What I did not love and I find truly bizarre is the ordeal I went through to get my  hands on this book. I am on the waiting list at the library even though I currently have every other Julia Quinn title checked out... someone out there is probably irritated that I have them all but they were keeping me from reading more Bridgertons since I am compulsive and want to read things in their proper order! I gave up on the library and went to two separate bookstores on Saturday. Both had every other Bridgerton book but this one... then I called (I can't lie to my one reader- I had my unembarrassable sister call for me) bookstores to no avail. Finally I gave in and just ordered my own copies of the Bridgerton books but me being me I wanted the pretty UK covers so I ordered them from England, making my wait even longer.

Today was a trying day so I decided I could be wasteful and buy an American copy with its icky cover anyway except it is still out of stock everywhere. At that point I tried to order an ebook from the Harper Collins ebook store. Credit card in hand, ready to purchase, only to find out their ebook store is closed for maintenance. That is when I got really mad. Finally I was able to calm down when I realized I could buy it from the kindle store and read it while gaining eye strain since I don't have an ereader. I realize this book buying saga is longer than my thoughts on the book but I was (and still am a little bit!) mad! It should not be that hard to buy a book. I will say that this book definitely lived up to my expectations!
 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com