Sunday, April 4, 2010

The Clearing, Heather Davis


Amy, a sixteen-year-old recovering from an abusive relationship, moves to the country to start a new life with her aunt–all she wants is for everything to be different. In the clearing at the back of Aunt Mae’s property, she makes an amazing discovery—Henry, a boy stuck in the endless summer of 1944. Henry and his world become Amy’s refuge and she begins to learn that some moments are worth savoring. But when the past and present come crashing together, both of them must find the courage to face what is meant to be, even if it means losing each other forever.

I was pleasantly surprised by this book. I liked it much more than Heather Davis' previous book, Never Cry Werewolf. There was romance and mystery in the story and I really loved Henry. The whole thing had quite a melancholy tone to it but not in a kill yourself now kind of way. It was in a bittersweet crying in the movie theater kind of way. I am usually completely inflexible in my stance on happily ever afters but this one was perfectly done. It reminded me of The Silver Kiss and this:



I wish there was more to read in this story but the length was perfect as it is. I woudn't love it as much if it was dragged out any further. Sigh!
 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com