Monday, September 7, 2009

Rampant, Diana Peterfreund

Here is a book I had a figurative paper chain counting down the days until its release date that lived up to my expectations! I love Diana Peterfreund's Secret Society Girl series (to an unhealthy degree; just thinking about them makes me want to read them all over again) so I was really excited to read her killer unicorn book.

I can honestly say that if I didn't already know that I loved her writing I probably wouldn't have picked this book up what with the whole unicorn thing. Unicorns remind me of Lisa Frank school supplies and velvet posters. Which has absolutely nothing to do with the unicorns in this story.

I loved the connections to art & mythology and all of the descriptions of Italy. I really want to go to Europe... I also loved the romance between Astrid and Giovanni. I totally loved all the funky names for the girls- they were spot on in my opinion. I think one of my favorite elements was the whole warrior nun cloister- I've always had a spot soft for a nunnery :)
The only thing that I didn't like was that it took me a lot longer to get into this book than usual. Once I was sucked in I loved it and couldn't put it down but it took me a while to get there.

I also liked that this story had a satisfying stand alone ending. I would love to read more of Astrid's adventures but this book solidly stands on its own two feet.
 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com