Sunday, August 16, 2009

The Forest of Hands and Teeth, Carrie Ryan

This is really hard to write. I have realized that I have a hard time separating my dislike of a storyline or a specific character with dislike for a book's writing. Because they are two different things.

This book is beautifully written. I couldn't put it down and I read the entire thing in one sitting. I was emotionally invested and freaked out which I think are good indicators of the high quality of the writing.

My problem is that I was really mad about several major plot points (not to mention mad at a certain main character). Now if this book had been total trash I'd just say "who cares it's a lame book" but it's not trash or lame so I'm left feeling unsettled. Which maybe is the author's intent. And I'm not so pathetic in my desire for happy endings to prevail that I can't realize that a happy ending in a dystopian zombie world might just ring the teensiest bit hollow.

So now I have to deal with waiting until next year to find out what happens next. I am hopeful that Carrie Ryan will find a way to bring some small measure of happiness to temper the depression in her story.

I think the Story Siren sums this one up better than I can.

(And I'm excited to hear there could be a movie maybe even starring Bella Swan herself. It would be nice to see Bella being the one decapitatating mythical creatures for once)
 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com