Sunday, October 17, 2010

Jane, April Lindner

Forced to drop out of an esteemed East Coast college after the sudden death of her parents, Jane Moore takes a nanny job at Thornfield Park, the estate of Nico Rathburn, a world-famous rock star on the brink of a huge comeback. Practical and independent, Jane reluctantly becomes entranced by her magnetic and brooding employer and finds herself in the midst of a forbidden romance.

But there's a mystery at Thornfield, and Jane's much-envied relationship with Nico is soon tested by an agonizing secret from his past. Torn between her feelings for Nico and his fateful secret, Jane must decide: Does being true to herself mean giving up on true love?

An irresistible romance interwoven with a darkly engrossing mystery, this contemporary retelling of the beloved classic
Jane Eyre promises to enchant a new generation of readers.

I love the cover of this book- the bright pink title, the period costumed girl, and windswept moors- all so beautiful! This was a new book purchase in spite of my vow to stop buying books for a spell. My life at school is still giving me an ulcer so after a particularly gruesome day I decided a deserved a treat (clearly treats have become my stress survival plan).

After being reeled in by the pretty cover I was completely sold after I read the description. I love the Brontes and I love reading modern versions of the classics so I went home, put my pajamas on (even though it was 5pm) and started reading.

This is one of those books that I could not put down. I read the entire thing in 2 hours and was so mad that it was over. I love finding books like this that are so well written and compelling that I can forget my own stress and just, for lack of a less trite phrase, be lost in a book.

I thought April Lindner did such a good job taking the well known Jane Eyre story and fitting it to modern characters and situations. It had me thinking about Wuthering Heights and what she might do with that plot. It's hard for me to imagine Healthcliff & Cathy in the modern world though. It also had me wanting to reread Jane Eyre.

Angieville review
Tempting Persephone review
Tea Cozy Review
 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com